ACS Magazine feature, September-October Issue

I was honored to be interviewed for a popular and distinguished  ACS online magazine and ACS gallery in my hometown of Chicago. As always, I am humbled to be part of the artist community and to be recognized for it. Thank you to Renée LaVerné Rose for being patient with me and my family schedule. 





Nino Rodriguez Interview Questions
Please provide your answers both in English and Spanish

1.      Brief Bio (max 2 paragraphs)
I was born in Mexico in 1972, but raised in the Northside Uptown community in Chicago. Arriving in 1976, I attended Chicago Public Schools, graduating from Nicolas Senn High School in 1991. I hold a Bachelor of Arts Degree from Columbia College in computer, technical and animation skills. Also at Columbia, I was able to gain skills in multimedia disciplines.  

I have been featured on television programs like, WGN, Fox, CNN, ABC news and LatiNation and my art and profile have been featured in the Chicago Sun-Times, Redeye, La Raza and other media publications. My art has been displayed in Chicago galleries, Michigan Avenue and the National Mexican Museum of Art.


2.      As a visual artist, do you consider yourself a street artist, graffiti artist, and muralist?  Please explain? Is there a difference, if any, between graffiti artists, muralist and street artists?
I think I am a graffiti artist and muralist. Some people group “street artists” as those who make cut-outs and use other forms of expression other than traditional tagging names upon a wall. I have never used cut-outs or other mediums to put my art on walls. I started tagging my name in marker and spray paint on Chicago city streets in 1984 and it was not long after that I was creating small scale murals strictly using spray paint for local businesses. So, I have discipline in mural and graffiti art creations, but not really as a street artist, by modern definition. I respect, but I have never duplicated the art Banksy or OBEY have made. Instead, I have followed New York subway masters of spray can art. Graffiti artists like, SEEN, DONDI, FUTURA, LEE, SKEME, DAZE, et al. They also created murals using spray paint, instead of acrylics or brushes, like other traditional muralists. LEE produced some of the first social conscious murals on handball courts in NYC using spray paint, back in the late 70’s and early 80’s. Chicano artists were doing the same in Los Angeles, producing large scale murals, not learned in school, but on the streets. I believe “street art” producers are highly skilled craftsmen. I have never taken cardboard or tape to paint my art, but I have used them at the request of students whenever I paint a mural project at a local High School. However, there is nothing wrong with that style of art, I give props and respect to those that get the message out to your peers, it’s not my style, yet street artists are very creative in how they create their works. For example, I have always admired the rats Banksy made and how crafty OBEY is on his murals, but that is not me. I mostly use spray paint to do all my large work. 

3.      When did you know that you wanted to be a street artist? Where, who and what influenced you?
I knew I wanted to paint on walls the minute my brother brought graffiti art home from his High School pals in 1984. I immediately knew it was not gang related or associated with violence, just by looking at the fancy writing style. That move saved my life because I was real close to joining the local gangs and I would’ve been a menace to my family and community, and not an asset, I was only 11 years old. I grew up on the North side area of Chicago that had dozens of gangs in a few mile radius of my home. My brother taught me the skills needed to develop wild style lettering and he also introduced me to other creative artists. But it was books like “Subway Art”, “Getting Up”, “FRESH” and “Hip-Hop” that made me continue pursuing this form of art. I was able to develop my own style and based on my skills painting my art on walls and buildings, I influenced countless others throughout the years in Chicago, and now I am considered a pioneer in the Chicago graffiti art movement, and I have to thank my brother and graffiti for saving my life.

4.      How does an artist develop the techniques to become a skilled street artist? What length of time does it take to master the skills to be a great street artist?
I believe an artist develops his/her style over time and through his/her observation of what they like and admire, then high levels of concentration and exact executions, over and over, they can finally, I think create great works of art! I started painting graffiti in 1984 at age 11, but I really started as an artist at age 5, winning first prize for all the Kindergartener’s and now I am 43 and I do believe I still learn something new from other artists I observe and view and I believe my new works of art will show that. Let me use that old saying; Quality, not quantity.

5.      How much time to you spend doing street art projects?
I do believe all art projects on walls vary from space availability, speed of artist, and design execution, assistant help and foremost weather conditions can delay and ruin art projects. Some wall art projects can go from 1.5 hours to 50 hours of wall paint time, respectively. I paint fast, but my execution is exact and complete, however I never paint to leave ASAP. Most people take their time to absorb all their painting time in Zen mode. As mentioned before, I do not take much with me to walls except my paint, a sketch design (maybe), water and my music. I also believe the new generation paints quicker, in my observations.   

6.      What’s the inspiration behind your work?
I am inspired by all works of art. I have been inspired by artists like (abstractionist) Jackson Pollack, (fantasy artist) Frank Frazetta, (muralist) Diego Rivera, (Mexican painter) Jesus Hulguera. Because I developed so many styles in my art, I sometimes try to think while I am painting something particular, how did the masters of this particular style feel while they were painting? For example, when I begin to execute a piece on canvas and start throwing paint around first before I begin the details, I think of Pollack and his thoughts and ideas and try to bring out inspiration to my piece through that.

7.      Do you collaborate with other artists to do street art projects?  Explain the process.
Yes, I do collaborate with other artists and many times I do paint alone. For a collaboration, if there is funds involved, I try to balance the project costs effectively so all parties are happy, but that usually occurs when I paint a client project. However, if I paint on a wall just for fun with another artist, I definitely like to take the lead on wall division or object placement. For example, recently, I painted a decent size wall in a Chicago city alley with another artist, a 30 foot long (9.1m) by 7 foot high (2.1m) wall that we painted black to start fresh. Because I was senior, I decided the theme and our name placement and even color of this “graffiti production”. I think I choose a bumble bee and color theme; where we painted several bees throughout our production and I painted clouds in the background to make it appear our stylish graffiti names were flying with the bees and my art partner assisted and painted equally fresh and together with proper direction, we executed a decent mini-graffiti production. In the graffiti world, many artists that paint along-side others try to out-paint each other artistically, which can cause strife and competition. So, collaboration works for me only when there is clear guidance and direction and focus that results in a finished masterpiece.   

8.      What street artist(s) has been the most influential to you as a visual artist?
I admire street artist Banksy’s rats that he has painted in his art. I do not think they influence my art, but I created a t-shirt screen where I made a Chimpanzee holding a can of spray paint and spray paint cans lying around him. I was influenced by seeing the rats holding a paint brush done by Banksy. I guess the idea for me is that any creature on this earth can hold a painting medium in their limb, appendage or extension. However, in my overall art, there is no one artist that people can say, ‘that looks just like so and so’. I think the only art I produce that I think is visual just like others is my Aztec art because some of the symbols I reproduce have been equally made by past artists in my ancestral land for thousands of years, so the visual effect never changes.      

9.      Does your country support street artists, support the street artists’ communities and honor the street art displayed public?  Explain.
I grew up in the United States and I do believe my country supports my style of art. I believe because street art started in the US, we have been able to have it absorbed more in the public’s mind and potentially this gave power to the artists to have us paint whenever and wherever without the law against us. For example, in gang and violent neighborhoods in my country, street artists (graffiti artists, street art, muralists) are for the most part, allowed free reign to paint anything he/she wants to send a positive or sometimes even negative images to the public, in general. In some instances, a street artist may paint a mural and a portrait in a community of a fallen or murdered person and that community will honor that mural for many years, dozens in some cases. And this goes on across my country and in many, many communities, street artists are giving a free pass to paint whatever they want. One time, a local home owner allowed me to paint whatever I wanted on his long and tall blank fence that ran across his property. During festive seasons, I would gather other artists to assist paint Halloween, Valentines, Cinco de Mayo and even Christmas mural themes so that the community can enjoy free art during that holiday. This particular fence was located on a busy street where thousands of cars passed daily and equally that many people viewed it. I believe this is how my community and country honors their local artists, by giving them a blank canvas to fulfil their creative endeavors.    

10.  Tell us how street art can has impacted the culture, the youth and the benefits to society in your country.
I believe graffiti and street art created by children for other children cannot be bad and because photographers, authors and film makers believed in it also, it took off in the United States and eventually global by the 1980’s and 1990’s.  And I think because of this exposure, it saved many children from other violent or negative things, or joining gangs, but graffiti art and street art has saved my life and others I personally know. This new outlet began for me at age 11 and has never really died. Painting art has opened far more doors for me than closed doors. I am sure this is happening all over the world. The benefits to society is that by encouraging young artists outlets and schools to paint, they are holding paint brushes, spray paint and pens instead of guns or knife’s. Chicago has some of the most deadly streets on earth, but at the same time, it has some of the richest art on walls, in schools and museums. I would love to believe that art may save us from our blood and life taken city.

11.  Have you painted any projects in other countries?  If so provide details of projects.
In 1995, I painted a small graffiti piece with other local graffiti artists in the city of Barcelona, Spain. It was not a project nor a theme production but a way for us just to paint. I went to Europe just as a back packing trip but connected with graffiti artists all along the trip. I painted a semi-wild style “LaRaza” piece with various blended colors, the other artists painted their graffiti art names. La Raza means “The Race”, so to me it meant to connect all Spanish people, because Mexicans are the new Spanish, at least since 1521.

12.  Tell me about two important moments in your art career?
One important moment in my art career occurred when I was able to participate and paint sculpture pieces on Michigan Avenue in Chicago’s famed street. It was important because I did this three times and each time was memorable and it earned me points in my art career because one time led to three times. The first time was a collaborative between Columbia College and the American Heart Association. I painted two huge hearts with my art. The second time I had my work displayed on Michigan Ave. was a huge golf ball my son and I painted in association with Ronald McDonald House Charities and the Ryder Cup golf tournament. And finally, the third time was when I painted a life size fiber glass horse in association with the Chicago Police Department and the city of Chicago. I painted a horse in honor of fallen Chicago police officer, Donald Marquez (Star #8620). Everything I painted was in request by the family to all the things Officer Marquez coveted and held dearly. You can see why this was a defining moment in my art career.     

13.  Where do you see yourself as a visual artist in two years?
I do have plans for the next two years, but every day as a visual artist is a struggle, and living in a big city like Chicago can have artistic financial rewards, but the cycle of violence can appear at any moment, at the same time. I have family roots in Chicago but in the next 24 months I definitely want to make moves to paint, exhibit, sell my art and most importantly travel outside the US. I hope to make it to the Middle East, South America and maybe paint my style of art in China, and have art exhibitions in those locations, that is my goal in 2 years but most importantly I will execute this by networking, planning, learning, and researching. I want my name to reach the lips and the eyes of new people. Chicago is a wonderful city and I want the world to know that my city nurtured my creative endeavors and I want to share that, especially for the next generation of creative and eager artists.   

Breve biografía ( máximo 2 parrafos )

Nací en México en 1972, pero me crie en la comunidad Uptown del lado Norte Chicago. Al llegar en 1976 , asistí a escuelas públicas de Chicago, graduándome de la escuela secundaria Nicolas Senn en 1991. Tengo una Licenciatura o Bachelors en Artes de la Universidad de Columbia en habilidades técnicas y de animación, en computadoras. También en Columbia, tuve la oportunidad de adquirir habilidades en disciplinas multimedia.

He sido presentado en programas de televisión como , WGN , Fox , CNN , ABC News y LatiNation. Mi arte y mi perfil han sido presentados en el Chicago Sun -Times , Redey , La Raza y otros medios de publicacion. Mi arte se ha mostrado en galerías de Chicago, Michigan Avenue y el Museo Nacional de Arte Mexicana .
Yo sabía que quería pintar en las paredes en el momento en que mi hermano trajo a casa el arte graffiti de sus amigos de la escuela secundaria en 1984. Inmediatamente supe que no era relacionado o asociado con la violencia de gangas, con sólo mirar el estilo de escritura de lujo. Ese movimiento salvó la vida porque estaba muy cerca de unirme a las gangas locales y hubiera sido una amenaza para mi familia y la comunidad, y no un bein, sólo tenía 11 años de edad. Crecí en la zona norte de Chicago que tenía docenas de gangas en un radio de una milla de mi casa. Mi hermano me enseñó las habilidades necesarias para desarrollar las letras del estilo salvaje/wild style y él también me presentó a otros artistas creativos. Pero fue libros como "Subway Art", "Getting Up", "FRESH" y "Hip-Hop" que me hizieron seguir persiguiendo esta forma de arte. Yo fui capaz de desarrollar mi propio estilo y basado en mis conocimientos de pintura de mi arte en las paredes y edificios, que influencio muchos otros a lo largo de 

2. Como artista visual, se considera un artista de calle, de graffiti, y muralista? ¿Por favor explique? ¿Hay una diferencia, si la hay, entre los artistas de graffiti, muralista y artistas de la calle?

Creo que soy un artista de grafiti y muralista. Algunas personas ponen en un grupo "artistas de calles" como aquellos que hacen los recortes y usan otras formas de expresión que no sea el etiquetado tradicional o “Tagging” de nombres sobre una pared. Nunca he utilizado recortes u otros medios para poner mi arte en paredes. Empecé a etiquetar mi nombre con marcador y pintura de aerosol en las calles de la ciudad de Chicago en 1984, y no paso mucho tiempo después que ya estaba creando murales de pequeña escala estrictamente utilizando pintura en aerosol para los negocios locales. Por lo tanto, tengo la disciplina en murales y las creaciones artísticas del grafiti, pero no realmente como un artista de calles, por definición moderna. Yo respeto, pero nunca he duplicado el arte que Banksy y OBEY han hecho. Encambio, he seguido maestros de arte de aerosol del metro subterráneo de Nueva York. Los artistas del grafiti como, SEEN, DONDI, FUTURA, LEE, SKEME, DAZE, etcetera. Ellos también crearon murales con pintura de aerosol, en lugar de acrílicos o cepillos, como otros muralistas tradicionales. LEE produjo algunos de los primeros murales socialmente conscientes en canchas de balonmano de NYC utilizando pintura en aerosol, a finales de los años 70 y principios de los 80’s.

Los artistas Chicanos estaban haciendo lo mismo en Los Ángeles, produciendo murales a gran escala, que no se estudiaban en la escuela, sino en las calles. Creo que los productores de "arte de la calle" son artesanos altamente calificados. Nunca he tomado de cartón o cinta para pintar mi arte, pero los he utilizado, a petición de los estudiantes cada vez que pinto un proyecto mural en una escuela secundaria local. Sin embargo, no hay nada malo con ese estilo de arte, Doy apoyos y el respeto a las personas que comparten el mensaje con sus compañeros, que no es mi estilo, sin embargo, los artistas de calle son muy creativos en la manera que crean sus obras. Por ejemplo, siempre he admirado las ratas que Banksy hizo y el modo astuto que OBEY usa en sus murales, pero ese no soy yo. Yo sobre todo, utilizo pintura en aerosol para hacer todos mis trabajo grande.

¿Cuándo supo que quería ser un artista de calles? Dónde, quién y qué le han influenciado?

los años en Chicago, y ahora estoy considerado un pionero en el movimiento de arte del graffiti Chicago, y tengo que agradecerle a mi hermano y el graffiti por salvarme la vida.

¿Cómo un artista desarrolla las técnicas para convertirse en un artista de calles especializado? Cuánto tiempo se tarda en dominar las habilidades para ser un gran artista de calles ?

Creo que un artista desarrolla su estilo con el tiempo ya través de su observación de lo que le gusta y admira, a continuación, los altos niveles de concentración y ejecuciones exactos, una y otra vez que pueden , finalmente , yo creo, crear grandes obras de arte! Empecé a pintar graffiti en 1984 a los 11 años , pero realmente empecé como artista a los 5 años , ganando el primer premio para todo en Kindergarten y ahora Tengo 43 años y yo creo que todavía aprendo algo nuevo de otros artistas que observo y veo, y creo que mis nuevas obras de arte demuestran eso . Permítanme utilizar el viejo dicho ; Calidad no cantidad.

Cuanto tiempo pasa haciendo proyectos de arte de calles ?

Yo creo que todos los proyectos de arte en las paredes varían de disponibilidad de espacio , la velocidad del artista , diseño y ejecución , asistencia de ayuda y las condiciones meteorológicas pueden atrasar y arruinar proyectos de arte . Algunos proyectos de arte de pared pueden ir desde 1.5 horas hasta 50 horas de tiempo de pintura de la pared , respectivamente. Yo pinto rápido, pero mi ejecución es exacta y completa , sin embargo, nunca pinto a salir lo mas antes posible. La mayoría de las personas toman su tiempo para absorber tiempo en un modo de Zen. Como se ha mencionado antes, no llevo mucho conmigo a las paredes, excepto mi pintura , un diseño del bosquejo ( tal vez) ,agua y mi música . También creo que la nueva generación pinta más rápido , en mis observaciones .

¿Cuál es la inspiración detrás de su trabajo?

Me siento inspirado por todas las obras de arte. Me he inspirado por artistas como ( abstractionista ) Jackson Pollack , ( artista de la fantasía ) Frank Frazetta , ( muralista ) Diego Rivera , ( pintor mexicano ) Jesús Hulguera . Debido a que he desarrollado tantos estilos en mi arte , a veces trato de pensar mientras estoy pintando algo en particular , ¿cómo los maestros de este estilo en particular se sienten mientras estaban pintando ? Por ejemplo , cuando comienzo a ejecutar una parte en la lona y empiezo a tirar pintura alrededor primero, antes de empezar los detalles , creo que de Pollack y sus pensamientos e ideas y trato de llevar a cabo la inspiración a mi pieza a través de eso.


¿Usted colabora con otros artistas para hacer proyectos de arte de calles? Explique el proceso.

Sí, yo colaboro con otros artistas y muchas veces me pinto solo. Para una colaboración, si hay fondos involucrados, trato de equilibrar los costos del proyecto de manera eficaz para que todos involucrados estén felices, pero que por lo general ocurre cuando pinto un proyecto para un cliente. Sin embargo, si pinto en una pared sólo por diversión con otro artista, definitivamente me gusta tomar la iniciativa en la división de la pared o la colocación de objetos. Por ejemplo, recientemente, he pintado una pared de tamaño decente en un callejón de la ciudad de Chicago con otro artista, 30 pies de largo (9.1 metros) por  7 pies de alto (2.1 m) que hemos pintado de negro para empezarla nueva. Porque yo era mayor de experiencia, decidí el tema y nuestra colocación nombre e incluso el color de esta "producción de graffiti". Creo que eliji un abejorro y el tema del color; donde pintamos varias abejas a lo largo de nuestra producción y pinté nubes en el fondo para que aparezca que el estilo elegante de nuestros nombres de graffiti volaban con las abejas y mi companero de arte asistio y pinto igualmente fresco y junto con la dirección correcta, ejecutamos un decente mini-graffiti producción. En el mundo del graffiti, muchos artistas que pintan otros a lo largo del lado tratan de exederse uno al otro en pintura y artísticamente, lo que puede provocar conflictos y la competencia. Por lo tanto, la colaboración, en mi parte, sólo funciona cuando hay una orientación clara y dirección y el enfoque que da como resultado una obra maestra terminada.

¿Qué artista de calles ha sido el más influyente a usted como un artista visual ?

Admiro las ratas del artista de calles Banksy. No creo que influyen en mi arte , pero creé una pantalla para camisas donde hice un chimpancé con una lata de pintura en aerosol y latas de pintura en aerosol a su alrededor . Fui influenciado por ver a las ratas sosteniendo un pincel hecho de Banksy . Creo que la idea para mí es que cualquier criatura en la tierra puede contener un medio de la pintura en su extremidad, apéndice o extensión. Sin embargo , en mi arte en general , no hay un artista que, la gente pueda decir , ' que se parece a esto y lo otro ' . Creo que la única arte que produzco que creo que es visual al igual que a los demás, es mi arte azteca porque algunos de los símbolos que reproduzco han sido igualmente realizados por artistas del pasado en mi tierra ancestral desde hace miles de años , por lo mismo que el efecto visual no cambia nunca .

¿Su pais apoya artistas de calles, apoya a las comunidades de los artistas de calles y honran el arte de la calle está desplegada públicamente? Explique.

Crecí en los Estados Unidos y yo creo que mi país apoya mi estilo de arte. Creo que es porque el arte de calles comenzó en los EE.UU., que hemos sido capaces de que absorba más en la mente del público y, potencialmente, esto dio el poder a los artistas de pintar cuando y donde, sin la ley en contra de nosotros. Por ejemplo en mi pais, en barrios violentos y de gangas los artistas de calles (artistas de graffiti, street art, muralistas) son en su mayor parte, permitidos a libremente pintar cualquier cosa que él / ella quiere enviar una imagen positiva o incluso a veces negativa al público, en general. En algunos casos, un artista puede pintar un mural y un retrato en una comunidad de una persona fallecida o asesinada y la comunidad honra ese mural durante muchos años, en algunos casos decenas. Y esto continúa a través de mi país y en muchas, muchas comunidades, artistas de calles están dando vía libre a pintar lo que quieran. Una vez, un dueño de casa me permitió que pintara lo que quisiera en su larga y alta cerca que estaba en blanco y corria a través de su propiedad. Durante las temporadas festivas, me gustaría reunir otros artistas para ayudar a pintar murales temados de Halloween, San Valentín, el Cinco de Mayo e incluso murales de Navidad para que la comunidad pueda disfrutar del arte libre durante sus vacaciones. Esta cerca en particular se encuentra en una calle de trafico constante, donde miles de automobiles pasaban a diario e igualmente la misma cantidad de personas lo ven. Creo que esta es la forma en la cual mi comunidad y el país rinde homenaje a sus artistas locales, dándoles un lona en blanco para cumplir con sus esfuerzos creativos.




Comments

Popular Posts